Friday, October 12, 2007

Mystery Squash Chili Over Blue Corn Waffles


We've had this squash since our last co-op pick up and I have no idea what kind it is. I thought it was a type of pumpkin, but it doesn't taste anything like one. Does anyone recognize it?

I was came across this site that inspired me to create a chili with the mystery squash over thier recipe for corn waffles. The chili was really, really simple:

Squash & White Bean Chili Ingredients:
  • one can white beans (or 2 cups cooked)
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper (although I actually forgot this in mine)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed squash (pumpkin, butternut, etc)
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
Directions: Saute onions and garlic until onions are clear. Add undrained can of beans (or cooked beans and a cup of water), squash and chili powder and let simmer while you make the waffles (or for for about 15 mins). Serve over corn waffles or on it's own..

Do you know what squash this is?


6 comments:

Chessa said...

Is it a golden hubbard squash? I found this page with 150 types of squash; I know hubbard is a fairly common variety. It's pretty!

That's a great idea for chili. Gonna have to file it away.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Cool, mystery squash! I have no idea what it is, but I love what you did with it!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a kuri squash:
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-51,GGLR:en&q=kuri+squash&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Maggi said...

I saw some that looked similar that were called Ambercup at the local pumpkin patch.

~Maggirayne

Lizzy said...

I am pretty sure it is the ambercup.. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Unknown said...

I was going to guess Red Hubbard.