Sunday, October 7, 2007

Homestyle Pot Pie

Another night with a friend over. My husband's long time friend and colleague from out of town came over for dinner this evening. His wife and kid live out of state, so to make him feel at home and not so lonely, we made this homestyle pot pie. He said it tasted like Autumn! Seriously, talk about comfort food.. this was comfort to it's highest. So simple and savory, it's sure to please your family's taste.

Filling Ingredients:
  • 2-3 large potatoes, diced
  • 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2-3 carrots, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup frozen peas (or corn, or both)
  • 1 cube veg. bullion
  • 2 tsp parsley
Biscuits Recipe Ingredients:
  • 2 c. flour
  • 3 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c. non-hydrogenated margarine
  • 1 cup sour soymilk (soymilk + 1 tsp. vinegar)
Directions: Preheat oven to 375 F. Cook veggies in broth water until soft. Meanwhile, make the biscuits recipe for the crust. Roll or press dough into casserole dish (the above recipe makes enough for one 8x8 dish, double for larger casserole dish- you will have plenty veggies), make sure to get the sides. Spoon cooked veggies with a little broth into the casserole dish, over the dough. Cover the veggies with the remaining dough, poke a few holes with a fork and bake for about 40-45 mins, depending on your stove. Remove from oven when biscuit mixture is cooked completely. Add salt and pepper to taste.




For dessert, my hubby made a lemon blueberry cake from scratch. It was very sweet! He is trying to recreate a recipe from years ago when he worked at a little veggie cafe here in Salt Lake.

8 comments:

madeinalaska said...

ohhh our fam loves a good pot pie! Very nice work there! looks great!


hey thanks for stopping by my blog.. have you been to the sage cafe? my family and I were visiting my bff of many years in salt lake city this summer.. all I can say is WOW!! totally family friendly! We went for breakfast but, man o live I totally wished we had another few days there to sample some more of their menu.. And Wow we went to the kid museum.. that was something else another thing I wish I had scheduled WAY more time for!
take care,
Julee

Monika K said...

Just found your blog and the pot pie looks marvelous! The biscuit topping seems reminiscent of non-veggie biscuits I've had before. I can't wait to give this a try - thanks!

Michelle said...

thanks for stopping by my blog.. i added you to my links! that pot pie looks so good, and so simple! i'll have to write down that recipe :)

The Little Mama said...

I just found your blog (via the Mothering.com forum). That pot pie looks awesome!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yum pot pie... don't think I've had one since being in college and buying those frozen ones that are 99cents. Safe to say that this recipe is a huge step up!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yum, that looks like perfect comfort food :o).

urban vegan said...

I made a pot pie last week and it didn;t turn out half of well as yours. Thanks for the recipe.

jd said...

Wow, this looks fantastic! I'm so happy to have found your blog :)

I've been searching for a great vegan pot pie recipe for a few weeks, & it seems as though it's safe to end my search now...

Thank you!