Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bringing Good Luck to 2008


I remember my childhood, where my dad always had my mom make black eyed peas for New Years dinner. I always thought he was being a weird Texan (no offense to my friends in Texas!), but this year I decided to look into it. Rumor has it, that eating black-eyed peas and collard greens for new years is suppose to bring good luck with money in the coming year. Well, we could use all the luck in that department that we can get, so for this year's New Years dinner I made black-eyed peas over quinoa, with garlicy-kale & collard greens with tahini sauce inspired by VWAV. I added onions to my black eyed peas and squirted some Bragg's on top- my favorite way to eat them.

It's been a whirl-wind of dinners, get-togethers, and celebrations these past couple weeks. I am looking forward to getting back to normal. Hope every one had a safe and happy holiday season!

2 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yay for good luck and black-eyed peas! I actually didn't know that about the collard greens... hmm, do you think chard will do the same? Hope so, otherwise I just have to count on the peas. Looks wonderful!!

Unknown said...

Wow that looks tasty. I had just learned that about black-eyed peas on another blog, but like vegan noodle didn't hear the collard greens part. Either way, looks like a delicious dinner to me!